Sunday, February 21, 2010

Sandpiper, Dunlin, and Ruddy Turnstone @ Barnegat Light NJ

Our first stop on my New Jersey trip was to Barnegat Light.  The wind was pretty strong, but it was rather warm considering it was February.  I couldn't believe how tame the birds were on the jetty.  If you don't know about Barnegat Light jetty it goes out about a mile along the beach.  The water from the inner channel enters the Atlantic Ocean.  Luckily it was a northwest wind so the ocean waves were not hitting the jetty and the birds were numerous.  Today I'm posting pictures of the little birds that were just hanging out on the jetty.  I set up my tri-pod to take a few and a flock came in and landed right at my feet.  Didn't seem to care that I was even there.  I can only imagine what it is like during migration.  Ready to go with me on a trip in May?

Dunlin (foreground) and a Purple Sandpiper (background)

Dunlin
Purple Sandpiper
Ruddy Turnstone

3 comments:

cindyzlogic said...

The Dunlin is really a cute bird! Great captures!

Spencer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Spencer said...

I love the Ruddy Turnstone! It's funny how some birds are so tame, while others, even of the same species, are very skittish.